Thursday, March 2, 2017

What to NOT Title Your Freelance Copywriting Enterprise

A few years in the past once I first started freelancing, I struggled over what to call my copywriting business. The primary identify for my one-man store was Chris Marlow and Associates. Though there were no associates, I imagined it made me look larger.

Years later once I thought I was a lot smarter, I changed the name to Ad Copy, Inc. It did not get me any extra business than Chris Marlow and Associates. And it value me numerous money for brand new stationary and authorized incorporation. Eventually I gave that identify up too, since I used to be not fulfilling the requirement of taking minutes at board meetings, seeing as how I was the only board member, and a fully absent one at that.

Finally I settled on plain outdated Chris Marlow Copywriting, which because it turned out, was the perfect title for a contract business akin to mine. And why is that, you ask? Due to the power of branding.

Over the years people have seen and heard my title, generally many instances, which results in an inevitable (and hopefully positive) impression. Even when they don't bear in mind how they heard of me (e.g., they saw an article, occurred throughout my Website, obtained a sales letter from me), they do bear in mind my title.

And when the day comes that I have a chance to do work for them, I am partially "pre-sold" as a result of they're accustomed to my identify.

The explanation I'm writing on this topic as we speak is that a lot of my teaching college students who are just beginning their freelance business ask me what they need to title their company. In fact, I always advise that they use their very own title.

If they want proof that there is value in building a brand with their identify, I merely ask them what number of copywriting and marketing gurus are "name famous"? We know the greats by their names...Bob Bly, Ted Nicholas, Gary Halbert...even the outdated masters are known by their names...John Caples, Claude Hopkins, Victor Schwab.

Invariably my students level out that "they" should not copywriting gurus, to which I answer, "Well how are you going to turn into a guru if nobody knows your identify?"

Now, many copywriters do have a company name "on the again end." For instance, Jay Abraham's well-known identify is out front, utilizing its energy of branding to sell high priced seminars. At the again finish, nevertheless, is The Abraham Group, which exists to help Jay's marketing ventures.

So if you're promoting one thing aside from your copywriting services, creating an organization identify may make sense. No matter you do, keep away from cute, "puny" or irrelevant names. Names like "WriteRight" and "Write-On" say nothing about your providers or your benefits to the client. If you happen to really feel the need to "beef up" your own name, then why not create a tagline instead? I just lately admired this one from the signature file of copywriter Monica Day: "Finding the phrases that give you the results you want."

As a possible consumer, this tagline implies that Monica will exert effort on my behalf ("Finding the phrases"), and that I might be pleased ("that be just right for you"). Bear in mind, simple and easy works greatest in freelancing. Quite than arising with a clever company name, put your efforts toward doing good work for your clients. After all, YOU are the product. Let your identify be your model.

No comments:

Post a Comment